Crikvenica is situated in Kvarner Bay, and it attracts travelers with its rich history, beautiful beaches, and diversity of activities for everyone to enjoy. This destination traces its roots to the remnants of the ancient Roman settlement of Ad turres, once a vivid port connecting the Vinodol hinterland to the sea. Today, Crikvenica stands as a Riviera, with seamlessly connected urban areas. It offers a mix of nature, cultural events, and tasty food for everyone to enjoy.
How to get to Crikvenica?
Situated on road D8 and close to the exit from Highway A6 (part of Europe Highway E65) Crikvenica is well connected no matter from what direction you are arriving. If you are planning to come to Crikvenica by airplane note that the airport on island Krk, Rijeka Airport, is just half an hour's drive from Crikvenica.
Crikvenica Aerial View
Things to do in Crikvenica
Crikvenica promises plenty of experiences, whether you are seeking relaxation or adventure. The town's stunning beaches and exceptional restaurants are just the beginning. Immerse yourself in the local culture by visiting the Town Museum or exploring the wonders of the Aquarium.
Activities in Crikvenica
For those craving an active vacation, the Crikvenica Riviera offers a year-round possibility for sports and recreation enthusiasts.
Here are some recommendations:
Water Sports: Engage in various water sports activities in Crikvenica, such as jet skiing, parasailing, and paddleboarding.
Paths:Hike or walk along the beautiful paths that offer a spectacular view of the sea and the nearby islands.
Boat Tours: Join boat excursions to explore nearby islands, coves, and other coastal towns. Some tours also offer fishing experiences.
Crikvenica Boat Tours
Diving: Crikvenica and the nearby areas have several diving centers, which provide opportunities to explore the underwater beauty of the Adriatic, including shipwrecks and rich marine life.
Adrenaline Park Crikvenica: is an ideal place to spend quality time with your loved ones or indulge in the charms of adrenaline fun. In the park, you can enjoy mini golf, trampoline, football, paintball, sumo and gladiator fights, zipline, etc.
Cycling in Crikvenica: Embrace the thrill of cycling along well-maintained paths leading from the sea to the Vinodol Valley.
Courts for mini golf, badminton, basketball, tennis, table tennis, and beach volleyball are available to guests in Crikvenica and the surrounding area.
Crikvenica also prides itself on being a destination for health tourism and a welcoming destination for guests with pets.
The beaches of Crikvenica offer a diverse range of experiences.
Podvorska Beach stands out as Croatia's premier dog-friendly beach, complete with a canine café, sunshades, waste disposal facilities, and a wealth of amenities tailored for your four-legged friends.
Poli Mora Beach in Selce is perfect for families, with plenty of sand, warm waters, and a nearby children's playground.
Meanwhile, Crikvenica's ownTown Beach is situated within a cove and framed by a pine forest. It is a calm and clean place with a Blue Flag, proof of its water quality and recreational offerings.
Where to eat in Crikvenica?
No visit to Crikvenica would be complete without tasting its culinary delights. The town has many exceptional dining establishments:
Restaurant Dida: offers traditional cuisine with a contemporary twist. The charming setting, friendly staff, and culinary excellence makes this restaurant a good choice for a good meal.
Croatian Olive Oils
Restaurant Zrinski: Located on Krk Island, this eatery is renowned for its exquisite local cuisine. Be sure to make reservations before your visit, as it is a popular choice for lunch and dinner.
Restaurant Galija: located next to the city beach, offers dishes with homemade gnocchi, pasta, and excellent dishes of freshly caught seafood.
You can find several bars and cafes along the seafront and in the town center. These are great places to start the evening, enjoy a drink, and watch the sunset. Many of these places might also have live music on certain days. Crikvenica does not have a massive club scene like some larger cities or popular islands in Croatia. Nevertheless, during the summer, there are often various events, festivals, and open-air concerts in Crikvenica.
Day trips from Crikvenica
Crikvenica serves as the ideal starting point for plenty of interesting day trips:
Day trip to Krk
- Krk Island: One of the more popular destinations for a day trip by boat from Crkvenica is the island of Krk. The trip includes sailing around the entire island, visiting the towns of Baška and Krk, and swimming on the island's beautiful beaches.
- Rijeka: a city of rich culture and maritime tradition, located 30 minutes' drive from Crikvenica, is an excellent choice for a day trip. Several guided tours offer a tour of the city of Rijeka starting from Crikvenica.
- Risnjak National Park: If you are looking for an escape from the summer heat, Risnjak National Park is the ideal destination. Only an hour's drive from Crikvenica, the park is a popular excursion destination for residents of Kvarner and their guests, both in the summer and winter months.
- Plitvice Lakes National Park: is well worthwhile destination for a visit. With its stunning waterfalls, lakes, and well-maintained trails, the park is a great choice for a day trip. Park itself is a two-hour drive from Crikvenica and there are several tour programs you can partake in. The programs differ in the length and complexity of the trail. An electric boat and a panoramic train operate in the park and are included in some sightseeing programs.
- Velebit: The Northern Velebit National Park is an ideal spot for all nature lovers and mountaineers. One of the popular activities in the park is hiking and biking tours. The park is an hour and thirty minutes away by car from Crikvenica.
Crikvenica is under the strong influence of the Mediterranean climate. Summers are hot and dry, and winters are mild. Due to the proximity of Velebit, mountain snow is possible in the winter months.