Novigrad is located in the Istria region of Croatia, it offers a charming coastal setting and a variety of activities and attractions for visitors to enjoy. In this Novigrad Travel Guide, you can read all about what you can do, see, and where to eat while staying there.
How to get to Novigrad?
Situated on the western coast of the Istria peninsula traveling to Novigrad is quite straightforward. Novigrad has its own exit from an excellent network of highways and motorways, Istrian Y, that crisscrosses the peninsula and it is connected with all the major European routes. Also, if you do not want to drive, Pula International Airport is just 50 minutes away so you can fly there.
What to do in Novigrad?
Novigrad is a charming picturesque Mediterranean town that is ideal for a relaxed vacation and enjoying the sea and the sun.
The top sites to visit in Novigrad are St. Pelagio and St. Maxim parish church with a bell tower that is the most recognizable landmark of the town, the Lapidarium museum, Novigrad town walls, and the Navy Museum Gallerion.
Novigrad's historic Old Town is a picturesque area with narrow winding streets, colorful buildings, and charming squares. You can explore its medieval architecture, visit the town's old city walls, and enjoy a stroll along the seaside promenade.
The city hosts various cultural events and festivals throughout the year, celebrating music, food, and local traditions. It would be a good idea to check the local event calendar (usually you can find it on the Tourist Board website) to see if any festivals align with your visit.
Novigrad Old Town by Night
Activities in Novigrad
Also, near Novigrad, you will find a lot of cycling and tracking routes for guests who like a more active vacation.
Novigrad offers various water sports activities, such as windsurfing, jet skiing, and sailing. You can rent equipment and take lessons if you are a beginner.
Day Trips from Novigrad
For families with children, Aquapark Istralandia is just outside the town and it is a great place to spend a day with your family.
Istralandia is one of the largest water parks in Croatia and offers a wide range of attractions and activities for visitors of all ages. The park offers you different activities like Water Slides, Wave Pools, a Lazy River, Kids' Play Areas, Aquagames, Sunbathing areas, restaurants and Snack bars, entertainment, and more.
For a great day trip while vacationing in Novigrad, we also recommend the following:
Visit the ornithological park Antenal - Mirna and spend a day bird-watching and learning about the delicate relationship that makes this Mirna River lagoon such a special place.
Popular among the tourists are wine trips to Istrian inland, visiting charming small hilltop towns, and tasting excellent local food and wine. Learn more about truffle, a special mushroom that puts Istria on the gastronomical map of the world. All-year-round truffle hunting and tasting are being organized but the top season for truffles is autumn, from September till December.
Beaches in Novigrad
Here are some of the popular beaches located in Novigrad:
- Maestral Beach -one of the popular pebble beaches in Novigrad. It is shaped like a half moon and offers you bars, restaurants, sports facilities, water sports, lounge chairs, and umbrella rentals.
- Laguna Beach -This is a paved and pebble beach. It also offers bars, restaurants, sports facilities, water sports, lounge chair, and umbrella rentals, and a playground in the shade for kids.
- „Green beach“ Karpinjan -This pebble beach is perfect for families with young children, thanks to its large size, slow sea entrance, and the natural shade provided by the pine trees that border it.
- City Beach -Located in the very center of Novigrad. This beach is surrounded by the old town walls. This spacious beach is a synonym for fun in the sun and offers a Mediterranean sunbathing and swimming experience as it once was.
Restaurants in Novigrad
Another good thing to know about visiting a city is where you can eat. If you are looking to experience good cuisine in Novigrad, do not miss visiting one of these Restaurants:
- Restaurant Marina - This Michelin guide restaurant perched above street level offers a terrace with a view of the port. They create modern Mediterranean seafood-tasting menus that change with market availability.
- Restaurant Damir & Ornella – This Michelin guide cozy, family-owned restaurant tucked away on a narrow lane near the seafront is known for its raw fish delicacies. Instead of a written menu, the offerings are described verbally.
- Trattoria Gatto Nero - In this restaurant, you can try homemade food prepared with love. It is located in a hidden alley close to the sea in Novigrad center. You can visit after a walk on the promenade.
Weather in Novigrad
Novigrad, located in the Istria region of Croatia, experiences a Mediterranean climate, characterized by mild, wet winters and warm, dry summers. The summers in Novigrad are hot. Daytime highs often reach 25 to 30 degrees Celsius or higher, with warm evenings.
If you like what you read about Novigrad in this Travel Guide, feel free to book one of our Villas and stay there for your holiday.