Churches on Marjan hill
- Remains of the Church of St. Benedikt
This archaeological site is located in the area of Bene, on the northern part of Marjan hill. The ruins of a tiny church represent a precious archaeological heritage that shows evidence of existence yet in the 14th century.
Remains of the church of St. Benedikt on Benephoto credit: Marjan Park Šuma
- Church of St. George
Church of St. George is a small church located on the Marjan Cape – the westernmost point of the Marjan peninsula. It is the pre-Romanesque church, a single-nave building with a semicircular apse built in the 8th or 9th century. A fragment of a pluteus of the altar screen was preserved and dates back to the 9th or 10th century.
Church of St. George source: VIP Holiday Booker
The stairs next to the church take you to the small lovely beaches that offer more privacy than any other beach in Split town. Enjoy the silence!
Info details about the locality, source: VIP Holiday Booker
- Cave and Church of St. Jerome
St. Jerome’s Church and the Cave are located beneath the Marjan reefs on the southern side of Marjan hill. The peculiarity is that Saint Jerome is the patron of Dalmatia and translators. St. Jerome lived in Marjan Cave and wrote his works here.
The cave above the Church of St. Jeromesource: VIP Holiday Booker
A small church was built in the 15th century. A stone altar is made in 1840 by Andrija Aleši. Above the altar, there are depictions of St. Jerome in a cave with St. John the Baptist and St. Anthony the Abbott.
Church of St. Jeromesource: VIP Holiday Booker
The same road will also take you to Šantine Stine or the Third Peak of Marjan, where sports enthusiasts climb large rocks recreationally.
Information about Marjan hill sites, author: VIP Holiday Booker
- Karepić Hermitage
Karepić Hermitage is located near the Church of St. Jerome, in a similar vertical gap of the same rock. It can be entered only by a rope ladder. It probably had a defensive character, in case of Turks and pirates' attacks. All doors and windows are simple, without any decorative stylistic elements. Apart from the picturesqueness of this tower, the coat of arms with inscriptions above the entrance door is also attractive. It says:
The inscription means:
HARMONY MAKES WISHES COME TRUE,
DISHARMONY MAKES DECEPTIONS.
Karepić Hermitagephoto credit:Lidija Lolić Photography
- Church of Our Lady of Bethlehem
Church of Our Lady of Bethlehem is located on the southern side of Marjan, on Marangunicevo Walkway, the longest promenade on Marjan hill. It was built before 1500. The church is a simple single-nave building with a vaulted roof with the profile of a broken Gothic arch. It was abandoned after World War One and used as a barn. It was reconstructed in 1927 by Marjan Association.
Church of Our Lady of Bethlehem photo credit: Lidija Lolić Photography
In the Church of Our Lady of Bethlehem, the Christmas Eve Midnight Mass is always held during the afternoon, the earliest of all Split churches.
Church of Our Lady of Bethlehem, source: VIP Holiday Booker
- Church of Our Lady of Seven Sorrows
A small Church of Our Lady of Seven Sorrows is located on the southern side of Marjan, above Šetalište Ivana Meštrovića Walkway and Kašjuni Cove. It is hidden under the pine trees. Its aim is to provide comfort and give hope to the unfortunate and to those who suffer. The church was first mentioned in 1362.
Church of Our Lady of Seven Sorrows photo credit:Lidija Lolić Photography
Inside the church, there is the Imagine Pietatis Beatae Virginis relief. It is believed that it was made by Juraj Dalmatinac. All churches on Marjan have the entrance facing the west except this one.
The interior of the Church of Our Lady of Seven Sorrows, source: VIP Holiday Booker
People's prayers are written all over the church.
Church of Our Lady of Seven Sorrows - prayers and thanks, photo credit: Lidija Lolić Photography
Information about the Church of Our Lady of Seven Sorrows, source: VIP Holiday Booker
The steps above the church on the northern side take you to the Marangunićevo Šetalište Walkway, or you can follow Šetalište Ivana Meštrovića Walkway that will show you the way to Kašjuni Cove.
The steps above the church on the northern side, source: VIP Holiday Booker
- Church of St. Nicholas the Traveler
The Church of St. Nicholas the Traveler is located on the southern side of Marjan hill, above the main Viewpoint, on a plateau below the first Marjan Peak.
It was built in the 13 century. In the 20th century, the care of the church of St. Nikole was taken over by the Marjan Company, which restored it in 1919. It was also repaired in 1950/1951 and then in 1990 when Marjan Company restored it again.
Church of St. Nicholasphoto credit: Lidija Lolić Photography
The location of the church provides an excellent view of the sea and the islands. St. Nicholas is a patron saint of children, sailors, merchants, travelers, fishermen, and engaged couples. On the feast of St. Nicholas which is celebrated on the 6thof December, there is a traditional mass is organized in the oldest Marjan church.
Stone dedication near the Church of St. Nicholas, source: VIP Holiday Booker
- Church on Sustipan (Monastery of St. Stephen the First Martyr under the pines)
Church on Sustipan is located at the end of the Forest Park Marjan is the church on Sustipan, in a picturesque verdant area, by the sea. Sustipan is known to be an old cemetery.
Church on Sustipan ('Saint Stipan'), photo credit: Lidija Lolić Photography
The Church on Sustipan has an attractive yard which is especially famous among couples for their wedding day. Here you can enjoy a sunny day and contemplate on one of the benches in the park by the sea.
Sustipan from the air, photo credit:Lidija Lolić Photography
Cultural institutions on Marjan
- Institute of Oceanography and Fisheries
The building of the Institute of Oceanography and Fisheries is located on the Marjan Cape, the most western part of Split. It was founded in Split in 1930 as the first national scientific research institution dealing with marine research. The institute conducts various research in the fields of biological, chemical, and physical oceanography, sedimentology, fisheries biology, and mariculture.
Institute of Oceanography and Fisheriesphoto credit:Javna ustanova za upravljanje Park-šumom Marjan
- The Mediterranean Institute for Life Research (MEDILS)
The Mediterranean Institute for Life Sciences (MEDILS) was founded in 2003 by professor Miroslav Radman and professor Marija Alacevic. It is an international, independently funded, and non-profit research institute in the field of aging and age-related diseases.
The Mediterranean Institute for Life Research (MEDILS) source:Marjan Park Šuma
- Villa Dalmatia
Villa Dalmatia is one of the most popular destinations for weddings and celebrations in Split. This splendid location by the sea has a private beach and offers complete privacy. It can be rented for various celebrations.
Villa Dalmatia by the sea photo credit:Marjan Park Šuma
- The Meštrović Gallery
On the southern side of the Marjan hill, by the sea, there is the famous Meštrović Gallery. It is the former villa of Ivan Meštrović (1883 – 1962), one of the greatest sculptors of Croatia of all times.
Meštrović Gallery entrancephoto credit: Lidija Lolić Photography
The gallery is dedicated to the promotion of the works of the artist Meštrović. It abounds in one part of artists' masterpieces.
Interior of the Meštrović Gallery, photo credit: Lidija Lolić Photography
The garden of the museum can be rented for your special day. The view is simply amazing.
Exterior of the most beautiful museum in Split, photo credit: Lidija Lolić Photography
Nearby Kaštilac (Crikvine) is the museum’s second location, located by the sea above Obojena beach. Meštrović's Crikvine-Kaštilac is an exhibition space on Meje, on the south side of the Marjan hill. The famous Croatian sculptor Meštrović in the chapel of St. Cross exhibited a cycle of reliefs with scenes from the life of Jesus of Nazareth.
Meštrović’s Crikvine (Kaštilac) photo credit:Marjan Park Šuma
- Museum of Croatian Archaeological Monuments
The Museum of Croatian Archaeological Monuments in Split is located in the neighborhood Meje, address: Ivan Meštrović Walkway 18, 21000 Split. It has a rich collection of the Croats from the Middle Ages, that is from the 7th to the 15thcentury. The “First Museum of Croatian Monuments” was founded in Knin in 1893. Later it was moved to Sinj, then to Knin, and afterward to Split, where it is located now.
Museum of Croatian Archaeological Monuments in Split (HAS), photo credit: Marjan Park Šuma
- Botanical garden
The botanical garden is located on the southern slopes of Marjan hill, address: Cattanijin put 2, Split, Croatia. It was founded in 1951. The botanical garden stretches 2 hectares and has many plants from tropical and subtropical regions. The botanical garden is an educational institution that promotes the cultivation and care of horticulture.
Botanical gardenphoto credit: Marjan Park Šuma
ZOO Split belongs to Natural History Museum. It is a small ZOO, considering it has only 0.65 ha. Once were many attractive species such as tiger, bear, monkeys, elephant, alligator that lived 68 years, and many sorts of snakes. Nowadays, in the ZOO you can see only domestic animals: donkeys, rabbits, turtles, chickens, turkeys, horses, cows, sheep, and goats.
ZOO Split, source: VIP Holiday Booker
- The Meteorological Observatory building
The Meteorological Observatory building is located next to the ZOO. It was designed by the architect Josip Kodl. Between the two World Wars, in the 1920s, it was an example of industrial architecture.
Meteorological Observatory building photo credit:Marjan Park Šuma
Stone houses and stone inscriptions on Marjan
Marjan abounds in stone inscriptions and small stone houses. Here are just some listed below...
This inscription located on Marangunić’s Promenade is dedicated to Marjan hill when Marjan Association turned 100.
Memorial plaque inscribed with verses by poet Jakša Fiamengo is dedicated to Marjan, photo credit: Lidija Lolić Photography
„Oh Marjan, lonely mountain!“ ❤️ („Oj Marjane samotna planino!“),see location here
Verses of a poet Jerolim Kavanjin, photo credit:Lidija Lolić photography
Ivo Ćipiko Cypress A.D.1930 source: VIP Holiday Booker
A small house in Lubinski Porat source: VIP Holiday Booker
A small stone house on Marjanski Walkway source: VIP Holiday Booker
Baba Marta’s House (Marta Katunarić- Šore) photo credit:Marjan Park Šuma
History of the Marjan Association
History of the Marjan Association begins on May 9, 1903, in order for the afforestation and landscaping of Marjan to gain as much momentum as possible. Juraj Kolombatović became the first president of the Association.
The founding day of the Marjan Society is also Marjan Day, which is traditionally celebrated on the first Sunday after the celebration of St. Duje (Domnius).
The Association also built a road from Veli Varoš to the first peak of Marjan (there are 3 peaks), and then to the second peak. During the 20th century, Association contributed tremendously to the development of Marjan hill. It built roads, erected many monuments, and always helped in preserving the Marjan's flora and fauna.
The water fountain was brought to First Peak in 1953 by the Marjan Associationsource: VIP Holiday Booker
In 2022, at the initiative and request of the Marjan Association, the Public Institution for the Management of the Marjan Forest Park is restoring the monument to Umberto Girometta.
Monument to Umberto Giromettaphoto credit:Društvo Marjan
If you are planning to visit Marjan, for more details you can read our blog Marjan – green oasis of Split city.
Marjan Panorama, photo credit: Javna ustanova za upravljanje Park-šumom Marjan
Leave a Reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*